Tuesday, March 25, 2008

First OB Visit

This morning we went to see the doctor for our first OB visit. Our primary doc is on maternity leave, so we met Dr. Wesley today instead. She'll see us for the first few visits until Dr. Noll is back.

Mostly we just answered lots of medical history questions, a surprising number of which were about tuberculosis, which fortunately neither of us have ever had. Then came the standard physical part, which, though unpleasant as usual, ended with the doc saying, "Everything looks just perfect!" which was encouraging to say the least.

Then came the best part. She took out a little walkman looking thing with a wand attached, and after a few seconds of rolling it around my lower abdomen, we started to hear a strong, thumpy little beat. "Sounds just right," said Dr. Wesley, and I couldn't have agreed more.

So, we're having a baby! Feel free to tell anyone you've been waiting to tell. I told my boss and my team lead today, and will probably tell the rest of my team sometime this week.

We're planning to keep this blog updated, and don't worry, there will be photos to come. As I told Grama on Sunday, my belly is just now starting to look like a baby belly and less like a fat belly.

Time to finish making dinner - baby and mommy are hungry!

10 comments:

SF said...

Way to go, baby's mommy and daddy! Thanks for starting this 'bloog'. I'm excited to see my name appear randomly - and, oh yeah, I look forward to reading about your progress, too. Wink - <3 the bestest Auntie

smilingsherpa said...

Thanks for commenting Mel - I forgot to encourage others to leave comments. You are just that "with it" I guess. :)

Unknown said...

forget the baby! i would like to highlight the amazing alliteration that is the title of this here blog. craftsmenship of that kind is rarely found in the blog-o-sphere and i am happy to have been able to read such precise prose. i am sad there is not a "bitchin" in there somewhere though. don would have approved.

Anonymous said...

Bring on the fat momma pictures! Give your public what they want. PS. Nick's comment was spot on. (Yes, I just said "spot on.")

Anonymous said...

Help, I don't see a fig on here: http://www.babycenter.com/slideshow-baby-size?galleryId=5223185

smilingsherpa said...

Fig photo is 9 of 38 - 11 weeks.

Anonymous said...

I can't BELIEVE I missed the kumquat stage.

Anonymous said...

Benkert/Begalle Baby, we are awaiting your birth.
You are the "baby fig newton"
of the best parents on Earth!

Anonymous said...

Any updates? :)

smilingsherpa said...

Nothing new right now. I promise I'll work on belly bump photos really soon!